Re: GPL question

From: Richard Tobin
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: 17 May 2007 20:14:51 GMT

In article <853b1vwdvw.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup  <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

>> I think you're misunderstanding my question.  Aquamacs (as far as I
>> know) contains code to access Apple's graphical interface
>> libraries. As far as I know, there is no other implementation of
>> these.  So according to your theory, when a user runs Aquamacs they
>> create a derivative work of MacOS X.  If I required the FSF's
>> permission to distribute a work that links with readline (ignoring
>> that there is now an alternative implementation), surely I require
>> Apple's permission to distribute a program that links with their
>> libraries.  This does not seem like a desirable situation.

>I propose that you read the license coming with the development
>version of Apple's libraries.  Of course you will have to heed Apple's
>conditions for distributing their code.

I'm not suggesting that Apple does not allow you to do this.  What I
find surprising is that Apple *could* legally stop people distributing
programs for their operating system.

So just to get this straight, do you agree that your theory would
allow Apple to do this?

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.