Re: GNU License, Again

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GNU License, Again
Date: 23 May 2007 18:30:24 -0700

On May 22, 1:52 pm, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <a...@gnu.org> wrote:
>    But the free software is the GPL program -- how does it protect
>    free software by requiring that the non-GPL one become GPL
>    as well? The free software is only the GPL program -- which
>    can function on it's own, unlike the non-GPL program, and if all
>    sources to said GPL program are divulged under GPL, then how
>    is it made any less free? It isn't!!!
>
> The end result is no longer free, since users are now prohibited from
> running, studying, improving and distributing the non-free program.
> The GPL sees that this will never happen, and users are always
> guaranteed to always be free.

The _entire_ non-free program, of course -- but such a distribution
would still keep the originally free code free.

>    So, it's to create *more* free code, right?
>
> It keeps code free, you are not required to accept the GPL.

But why do I have to release all of *my* code along with the
GPLed stuff? That's not just "keeping code free" -- that's
creating MORE free code -- because code that would have
otherwise not necessarily been free is then required to be
made free since the free code was included.

What would you think if I, say, were to write a 100% original
piece of code (so I own ALL rights, period), and then proceed
to release this code under a license that is otherwise
identical to the GPL, except that it allowed the user to use
it in their programs *and* they could license *those programs*
under whatever license they want *regardless* of whether or
not they used my code, *but* if they did use my code they would
have to make a copy of it (and IT ALONE) freely available along
with their software under the same license? They would not
have to make any of their code free. This would keep my code
free while at the same time not demanding they do anything at
all with their code when they use my code. If I ever write
code I intend to be free and I don't use anyone else's code
in it, that is likely the type of license I would release it under.
I can do that, of course, since I own all the copyrights. Now,
would GNUtia then try to boycott my code, or feel I'm some
sort of "traitor", or something?!