Re: GNU License, Again

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GNU License, Again
Date: 25 May 2007 17:29:53 -0700

On May 25, 3:42 pm, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <a...@gnu.org> wrote:
>    "The GPL requires one to release their own code as free under GPL
>    if they use GPL code in said own code."
>
> I have already explained why this is false.  Restating false
> statements over and over again is not useful.

This is false? Then what's all this talk about "virality", etc.? You
seem to be contradicting yourself. At one moment you say that
one needs to release the combined work under GPL (which
by definition releases the original part of the program's source
code under GPL since that is part of the combined work -- do
you deny this clearly evident fact?!), then at another you are
saying what amounts to no. What gives?! Releasing the code
to the combined work means that you have to release your own
code too! How can it not?

This is why this discussion keeps going -- because you don't
seem to be making sense, you just keep contradicting yourself!
I don't know what to believe now.