Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Eben Moglen predicts broad embrace of GPL

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Eben Moglen predicts broad embrace of GPL 3
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 20:15:45 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> rjack <rjack@com> writes:
>
> > I suspect one reason Eben Moglen is leaving the Free Software
> > Foundation prior to official adoption of the GPL3 is due to concerns
> > about it's illegality. A suit against the FSF for the above cited
> > reasons could have consequences for Moglen's professional standing
> > as an attorney. Deliberatly crafting an illegal document with intent
> > is risky professional behavior. I wouldn't be too surprised if other
> > blowhards abandon the GPL3 ship before it sinks.
>
> An "illegal document"?  Well, I've heard quite a few weird attacks on
> the GPL, but this is the first time I see someone suspecting it to be
> pornography or similar.

A contract to make RMS' kids (if any) become child porn stars
would be "illegal document" just like the GPL3.

>                          Anyway, since it is a license, not a
> contract, it is to be used only between consenting adults.

Yeah, between consenting adults. This reminds me that in the GNU
Republic, linking creates a "derived work" (see the GNU Copyleft
Act) akin to (quoting renowned GNUtian Alan Mackenzie) "embryo
which is derived from the egg and sperm."

Accordingly, GNUtians believe that linking is akin to sex without
condoms (and that it is not oral or anal) resulting in 100% rate
of embryo (partner is a side effect) contamination by the GPL
virus.