Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:57:39 -0500

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra writes:
> Hello? Buying the book is precisely your license to that copy

Possession or sale of copies (copies are tangible objects) is not among the
exclusive rights of the copyright owner in the US.  Therefor copyright is
not relevant to sale of legitimate copies and no license is required to
purchase or possess one.

> That's the reason why you can't legally xerox it, in most conditions,
> because then you don't have a licensed copy

No.  It is copyright infringment to xerox a book in most circumstances
because the creation of copies is one of the exclusive rights of the
copyright owner.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org