Re: GNU License Again but this time a different question

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GNU License Again but this time a different question
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 20:30:51 -0500

mike3 writes:
> What happens if I get some GPL code, and read it to learn something about
> how to solve some stumbling block with something I can't seem to figure
> out how to program, then used the knowledge gained to write my own piece
> of code?

The same thing as would have happened had read it in a book: you become
educated.  Copyright applies to expression, not ideas.

> Do I have to GPL that piece of code and/or any and all other programs
> built around it?

If you had gained the same knowledge by reading a book published by
Microsoft Press would you have to assign the copyright to Microsoft?  Of
course not!
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org