Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linspire: "GPLv3 - Unforseen Consequences

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linspire: "GPLv3 - Unforseen Consequences?"
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:50:39 +0200

More from Carmony:

http://forum.freespire.org/showpost.php?p=63026&postcount=35

------
We have customers who have switched from Linspire to Novell because
Novell offers patent protection with Microsoft. The FSF has been
extremely vocal about v3 limiting these types of deals. I know for a
fact that some enterprise customers and OEMs want the MS patent
protection. Given this demand, I can see why Novell and Xandros have
decided to offer it. The FSF has said they are trying to stop these type
of deals from happening. I have no problem with that, they have every
right to do that. The point of my Linspire Letter is JUST BE AWARE of
the potential consequences. If companies are dropping Linspire and going
with Novell (and now Xandros) for the MS patents, if that option is
completely shut down, then where will they go? Back to using Windows,
which is the "unintended consequence."

Kevin
------

"Moglen had remarked: 'Anything that is worth copying is worth sharing.'
He also argued: 'The more we give away, the richer we become.' "

     -- Free Software's Moglen Canvasses His Sharing Message In India