Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- INQUIRER: "Torvalds remains unconvinced by

From: rjack
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- INQUIRER: "Torvalds remains unconvinced by GPL3"
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:35:13 -0500

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

No major open source distros have yet lined up behind the GPLv3. Sin
Microsystems has been one of its most vocal supporters so far,
suggesting that it might choose the licence for its Solaris operating
system. But it won't make up its mind before the final version of the
licence has been published.

That is spelled *Sin* because Sun has been blathering about releasing
Solaris under the GPL since at least April 2004.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/04/30/HNsolarisgpl_1.html

If I could could get as much mileage from my tires as Sun gets from
its bullshit about GPLing Solaris, I would never have to buy new tires again. . .

The GPL'd Linux desktop PC is *never* going to suceed. It is vulnerable to too many newer technology patents. The Linux server will also eventually expire under the GPL, although the older server technology is less open to patent threats except for virtualization improvements.

The OpenBSD OS under the BSD license is a far more secure and stable server platform than Linux. Old reliable code that is tried and trusted is for the most part free of patent threats by now. Old code does not mean inferior performance in the context of kernel sevices.

Software patents do not require years of extensive research and development investment like drugs or new chemical compounds. If the originality requirements for software patents were strengthened and limited to three years of protection. Innovation might truly be spurred in computer software.

rjack
protection