Re: How does GPL3 stack up against KHTML/Safari exploitation?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: How does GPL3 stack up against KHTML/Safari exploitation?
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 20:21:48 +0200 (CEST)

   > For those who don't remembered the incident, Apple developed its
   > Safari based on KHTML's work, but Apple only distributed changes
   > in large patches with little documentation, and refused to allow
   > KHTML developer to look at the change logs maintained by
   > Apple. How does GPL3 licence prevent such kind of abuse,

   The GPLv3 does not require detailed changelogs.  The requirements are
   even below those of the GPLv2.  I suspect that this just reflects
   reality because most developers (not just Apple) did not pay attention
   to that part of the GPLv2 anyway.

It also reflects the reality that such a requirement would most
certaintly make the license a non-free software license: Sorry sir,
you cannot modify this program without writting extensive
documentation about what you did; and Sir, I only understand
Cantonese, so you have to write the documentation in this language.