Re: SFLC chooses wrong court

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: SFLC chooses wrong court
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:38:58 +0200

Bruce Lewis wrote:

> rjack <rjack@com> writes:
>
> > If the suit goes forward (which I seriously doubt) the District Court
> > will dismiss due to failure to state a federal claim. Contract claims
> > are heard under the common law of state jurisdictions.
>
> If the suit is sure to fail, why is Monsoon so eager to settle?  Are
> they completely clueless about the legalities, or are you?

Over there on COLA (comp.os.linux.advocacy, from amicus_curious):

"The hoo ha raised to date by the FSF has been focused around providing
yet another source for source for those "violators" who have used GPL
apps in their systems and failed to "properly" distribute.  The key
here is that the companies being coerced were willing to compy and
were supportive of GPL to begin with.  The threat of public disdain,
at least from the pro-GPL "public", small as it is, was enough of a
club to enforce compliance and the "settlements" in favor of the GPL
were widely touted as proof of its efficacy.  One of these days
someone who is anti-GPL will find it advantageous enough to finally
swat that annoyance. "

"The revolution might take significantly longer than anticipated."

                                     -- The GNU Monk Harald Welte