Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software n

From: Chris Thomasson
Subject: Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software nor open source software
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:11:28 -0700

"Anthony Williams" <anthony_w.geo@yahoo.com> wrote in message 3awj9rip.fsf@yahoo.com">news:3awj9rip.fsf@yahoo.com...
J de Boyne Pollard <j.deboynepollard@tesco.net> writes:

CT> Can I download Hoard, make some changes, post the source
CT> code free of charge, ...

AW> Yes, because it's licensed under the GPL.

CT> ... and charge a fee for a commercial product that uses a
CT> function offered by the compiled binary of the modified
CT> source code?

AW> Not under the GPL license.

Incorrect.  [...]

My assumption was that when Chris said "charge a fee for a commerical product"
he meant a CLOSED SOURCE product, or at least one that wasn't itself GPL.

I was thinking of charging a fee for a commercial product and posting full-source code of all the modified GPL code it uses for free. Some people are not going to want to deal with the source code; they can choose to pay a fee instead. What they would get from the fee could include the compiled binaries, links to the source code, manual, consulting options, ect...