Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software n

From: Chris Thomasson
Subject: Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software nor open source software
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:21:07 -0700

"Chris Thomasson" <cristom@comcast.net> wrote in message zYqdnSVNAq1wrZDanZ2dnUVZ_uiknZ2d@comcast.com">news:zYqdnSVNAq1wrZDanZ2dnUVZ_uiknZ2d@comcast.com...
[...]
I was thinking of charging a fee for a commercial product and posting full-source code of all the modified GPL code it uses for free.

Would GPL force me to provide the source code for an entire commercial product?

Also, could I could abstract all of the modified GPL software into a separate shared library (e.g., libgplmod.so) and post all of the code for free, then create a closed-source commercial product that uses something in 'libgplmod' and charge a fee?

If GPL forces me to provide the source-code of any software that links to 'libgplmod' then you would have to rely on the following:

Some people are not going to want to deal with the source code; they can choose to pay a fee instead. What they would get from the fee could include the compiled binaries, links to the source code, manual, consulting options, ect...

in order to many any money...