Re: GPL question

From: Mike Cox
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:12:28 -0700

On Oct 11, 3:10 am, John Hasler <j...@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> Mike Cox writes:
> > (1) Can I dynamically link my application with free libraries already
> > present on the target system, even if they're GPL'ed?  (specifically,
> > libbfd, part of binutils, I believe; and gdbm)
>
> Not without first consulting a good copyright lawyer experienced in Free
> Software law.  The FSF says that what you propose to do would infringe
> their copyrights.  Perhaps you could be a teat case.

I am mighty confused now. Are you saying that what I'm planning to
do is not possible?  If not, why?  I mean, off the top of my head I
could probably think of a dozen packages that already do the same;
heck, they even distribute GPL'ed dll's on Windows without source.
I mean, we're talking about dynamic linking, not extending some GPL
software.  Anyways, there should be enough precedence.

> > (2) If a required GPL library is missing on the user's system, can I
> > include a copy of this library in my software distribution?
>
> See above.

See above.

--
Mike Cox (the_real_mike_cox)