Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software n

From: J de Boyne Pollard
Subject: Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software nor open source software
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:24:07 -0700

JdeBP> Incorrect.  Come now!  This is a GPL Frequently Given
JdeBP> Answer.  The correct answer, which you will find at
JdeBP> <URL:http://fsf.org./licensing/licenses/gpl-
faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney>,
JdeBP> as well as on Hoard's own web site at
JdeBP> <URL:http://prisms.cs.umass.edu./emery/index.php?
page=frequently-asked-questions-2>,
JdeBP> is that one can sell a product that incorporates free
JdeBP> software, such as Hoard, as long as thatproduct is
JdeBP> itself free software.  In other words, the product
JdeBP> incorporating the code must, overall, provide users
JdeBP> with the same four freedoms from the Free Software
JdeBP> Definition that the incorporated code does.

AW> My assumption was that when Chris said "charge a
AW> fee for a commerical product" he meant a CLOSED
AW> SOURCE product, or at least one that wasn't itself GPL.

That assumption, that "commercial" and "closed source" are synonyms,
is _exactly_ the error that the GPL FGA is combatting.