Re: Free system that could be "real Unix".

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: Free system that could be "real Unix".
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 02:29:00 +0100

mike3 <mike4ty4@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Oct 12, 10:13 am, Christopher Browne <cbbro...@acm.org> wrote:
[...]
>> The *biggest* part would be the cost of having "whatever remains of
>> The Open Group" evaluate the system to validate that it conformed to
>> their requirements.
>>

> Well the thing I was asking more about was making a system
> that would be "real Unix" in the sense that it would be *capable
> of passing* such evaluations -- so it would be "real Unix" in all
> but the legal sense (ie. what you can market it as) (unless of
> course all the money needed to get certification was paid.).

Lasermoon Ltd., a UK company that was based in my home town, bought
membership of X/Open and obtained the necessary licenses with the
intention of passing POSIX.1, XPG4, et cetera, certification for their
Linux-FT distribution.  They, or their technology, were bought by
Caldera in 1996.  Dunno what happened to that standards effort in the
end.