Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:40:09 +0100

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 07:33:56PM +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> This may seem a contrived example

It is a contrived example probably because it requires a series of events
that are highly unlikely to be common, specially with certain people
in common.

If a certain intentional pattern is detected, it can probably be argued
that people are trying to work around copyright law and be sentenced
anyway.

The most important key words are intent and commercial status of the
transaction, I'd say.

> Note that the GPLv2 does not acknowledge Section 109 when it states
> "However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or distribute
> the Program or its derivative works."

And you conveniently ignore that the GNU GPL says:

«To “propagate” a work means to do anything with it that,
without permission, (...)»
     in Section 0, GNU GPL v3

First Sale gives the permission for your extremely uncommon scenario.

> It also ignores Section 117,
> which gives "the owner of a copy of a computer program" the right to
> "make or authorize the making of another copy OR ADAPTATION of that
> computer program" if it is "an essential step in the utilization of
> the computer program in conjunction with a machine".

And you conveniently ignore that the GNU GPL says:

«You are not required to accept this License in order to receive or
run a copy of the Program.»
     in Section 9, GNU GPL v3

Rui

--
P'tang!
Today is Pungenday, the 69th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?