Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:50:16 +0100

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 03:20:35AM -0700, KomsBomb@hotmail.com wrote:
> If some one compiles the monitor tool without any change and sells
> it for money, I think it's a little bit unfair to me.
>
> However, if the license forces the user distributes the tool's source
> code beside that tool, I think maybe it's fair enough to me.

That's why the GNU GPL makes software sharing reciprocal. You share,
but if they redistribute, they've got to share it too!

> Who will pay money to a tool with free source code published? :-)

Many people do, but usually more in useful collections of software :)
and not so much about a particular tool (think distributions).

Then, those that receive the money usually contribute back with more
software, more patches, money, etc...

Who makes those patches? An abstract entity? No! Free Software
programmers paid to do so! :)

> > > Then any advice?
> >
> > Release it under the GNU GPL, control all patches to the software.
> > That way you can release it as Free Software, but if anyone wants
> > to have a proprietary derivative, charge as much as you can for
> > a special proprietary license for that person.
> >
> > It's the model of MySQL, for instance.
>
> Great advice, I will consider it.

Great!

And don't worry about the english, with pratice comes perfection...

Rui

--
Keep the Lasagna flying!
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 70th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?