Re: RMS transcript for all the GNU fans

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: RMS transcript for all the GNU fans
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:01:22 +0200

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 08:17:46PM +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > DiBona of Google (Open Source Programs Manager):
> >
> > "issue is that Richard wants the imagery that we ourselves do not own"
> >
> > http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:14528
>
> This makes no sense, DiBona is not being clear enough, opening doors
> for your venom spit.
>
> In your quote, Ricard is talking about Google Earth as the non-Free
> Software program. Every non-Free Software program is designed to
> restrict freedom, it clearly says so in their license.
>
> That's completely beside the point of wanting or not the collection
> of images. IMNSHO, sattelite photos of *our* planet have no business
> being owned by TerraMetrics, the owners of Google Maps' imagery.

<Forward Inline>

-------
Subject: Re: SFLC will love the 7th Circuit
To: chris@dibona.com
Cc: verdy_p@wanadoo.fr, dlw <danw6144@insightbb.com>,
license-discuss@opensource.org

Hi Chris;

On 10/15/07, Chris DiBona <cdibona@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, you're mixing up earth (where the issue is that Richard
> wants the imagery that we ourselves do not own) and the google search
> appliance. I invite you to go mess with the mirror on code.google.com,

Now, when it has become clear that according to GNU Law you have lost
all your licenses to GPL'd stuff inside search appliance ("permanently
for every program from every copyright holder, and has to then go and
beg forgiveness from everyone"), please consider the following opinion
from renowned GNUtian Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms@1407.org> (famous
Portugal OOXML buster
http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=2007071812280798):

"Ricard is talking about Google Earth as the non-Free Software
program. Every non-Free Software program is designed to restrict
freedom, it clearly says so in their license.

That's completely beside the point of wanting or not the collection of
images. IMNSHO, sattelite photos of *our* planet have no business
being owned by TerraMetrics, the owners of Google Maps' imagery."

Checking....

Indeed.

http://earth.google.com/intl/en-US/license.html

Question: are you being disingenuous or what?

Just curious.

On Oct 15, 2007 9:47 AM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Alexander Terekhov [mailto:alexander.terekhov@gmail.com] wrote:
> > > Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
> >
> > http://fsfe.org/en/fellows/ciaran/ciaran_s_free_software_notes/transcript_
> > richard_stallman_honary_degree_speech_pavia_2007
> >
> > "Google designs software specifically to restrict the user. That's the
> > nature of the Google Earth client: it is made the way it is
> > specifically to restrict the people who use it. Obviously, it's not
> > Free Software, because Free Software develops under the democratic
> > control of its users."

"To show the falsity of 'PJ''s claims, in most cases I need look no further
than Groklaw itself. 'PJ' wants more journalists to use the site as a
resource, so I'll do just that. Below are excerpts from my story that 'PJ'
says are incorrect, followed by 'PJ''s characterization of them, and my
response -- at times taken directly from Groklaw."

                                       -- http://tinyurl.com/2mn3jc