Re: GPL question

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:58:49 +0200 (CEST)

   (1) Its runtime uses GPL code for its "edit_distance()" function,
   but only provides source for this one function but not the entire
   library.  (says so in the docs that code for this function is
   provided to comply with its license) Does the GPL allow that? Can I
   do the same in my own project?

As I already answer: No, and No.

   (2) Included in the distribution is a binary copy of gdbm. It
   appears it is not otherwise used but is redistributed without
   source and documented, but its GPLness is not otherwise
   mentioned. Is there a problem here, and if yes, what is it?

As I already answered: Yes, the GPL states that the WHOLE work must be
licensed under the GPL.  Since it isn't, it is a license violation.

   (3) The linux version links with and distributes binary copies of
   BFD. From previous replies I gather I can not do that in my projects?

Correct.

   (4) Also included in the win32 version is a program called
   "windent", a version of GNU indent 1.10.0 with added GUI, but no
   source code. This one is really confusing. GNU indent is derived
   from some BSD licensed code, but also contains source files
   licensed under GPL. That would make the whole work GPL, right?

Correct.

   Yet in the manual page it says it's a BSD license. But the COPYING
   file says it's GPL.  Very confusing!!!  What is the real license
   here, and why?

The man page might be licensed under the GPL, the man page might be
refering to a BSD indent, your question is to vauge to answer.

   Are modified versions allowed?

Ofcourse, both the modifed BSD license, and the GNU GPL are free
software licenses.

Please refer to the GNU GPL FAQ in the future:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html