Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project

From: mike3
Subject: Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:20:40 -0700

On Oct 17, 3:46 am, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <r...@1407.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 03:11:48PM -0700, mike3 wrote:
> > (Explanation: I do not like to judge people's intent. He
> > could simply be misguided. "Liar" implies deliberate
> > intent to decieve, and since I am not him, and you are
> > not him, neither of us are capable of making that
> > judgment. Only he knows that. The only thing we can
> > respond to his the argument he brings forth. It is wrong,
> > sure, but that says nothing about his intent.)
>
> Whoever purports to be so well knowing and well informed can't
> be suddenly so misinformed as to say evidently false statements.

What if they've just overestimated their knowledge? Then
although they may not be right when they say how much
they know, that does not necessarily mean a lie.

> The strong contradition and inability to bow back to facts imply
> intention.

Or they could just be so convinced they are right that
therefore they don't see the truth of the facts presented?
The "intention" therefore may not be to decieve (lying),
but simply to not realize that the facts are, well, factual,
and true. But *I* will not pronounce a judgment as to what
his intention really is as *I* do not feel I have a right to do
so. If you think you do, go ahead, it's your responsibility.
I'm not the one in charge of your actions. You are.

Instead of making judgments, which, regardless of whether
you consider them morally acceptable to make, will
often distract the discussion from the points being argued
and into side issues, I prefer to stick to rational argument.
If someone does not want to concede to reason, it is
impossible, and I do mean *impossible*, to force it, and
the best course of action is to simply let them go. It's
their responsibility, after all. Throwing accusations equals
turning up the heat -- escalating the situation. But why
do that? There's nothing either party can gain from it.
I've learned this through many hard disputes with
people, and some of them not just on the Internet. What
is there to gain by trying to convince your opponent, whose
mind may be a totally locked-up-tight box? If he gets into
legal trouble or something because of it that's his problem
and his problem only.

Furthermore as the discussion gets offtopic and into
attacks and judgments of each involved party, it can
be of detriment to other people like me who would like
to learn about the issue in question, perhaps even to avoid
the mistakes that may have led to the dispute arising in
the first place, as then any rational examination of the
situation has gone out the window.