Re: GPL client locked into closed source backend - is this really GPL?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: GPL client locked into closed source backend - is this really GPL?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:19:10 -0500

In article <mailman.3318.1194841474.18990.gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org>,
 "Tim Shephard" <tshephard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> If you have a client-server application and GPL the client but it has
> a very broad and very tight protocol coupling with a backend server
> that is closed source .. is that really GPL?

Yes.  The coupling between clients and servers is considered loose
enough that they're not the same application.

For example, if there were a closed-source web server, do you think GPL
web browsers should not be able to access it?  Should open-source SQL
clients not be able to access Oracle servers?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA