Re: Richard Who?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Richard Who?
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:32:19 +0100

rjack wrote:

> Microsoft's general manager of Windows Server marketing and platform
> strategy Bill Hilf and InformationWeek:
>
> "InformationWeek: In order to participate in communities like that, how
> do you cut through the muddle of the Richard Stallmans of the world and
> overcome the popular resistance, and also cut through the resistance
> that you've gotten from people like Red Hat who you might want to
> partner with?
>
> Hilf: We just had a bunch of our global account managers in with us,
> people who handle our super big customers, and they said, these
> customers don't even know who Richard Stallman is, they don't even care.
> They've chosen Linux or Apache or open source in general because of a
> few simple reasons: either price, or functionality, they want a more
> modular system or they want something that has a smaller footprint,
> there are certain needs that they have that are satisfied by that type
> of software."
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=203100965
> :}

Also worth noting:

"coming to Microsoft from IBM in 2003 ... We did the same thing at IBM
(NYSE: IBM). There's lots of participation of IBM in open source, but
there's very little shared source code between IBM's shipping products
and open source software. "

He he.

"The revolution might take significantly longer than anticipated."

                                     -- The GNU Monk Harald Welte