Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: Keith Thompson
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:17:31 -0800

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:
>    I do not see the reason why "GNU/Linux" should be preferred over just
>    "Linux" to refer to the system.
> [...]
>    What's the reason, anyway?
>
> The reason is that Linux is not a operating system, it is the kernel
> of one.  The operating system is called GNU.

Is there a widely agreed-upon meaning of the phrase "operating
system"?  Is the kernel considered part of the operating system?  If I
install a bunch of GNU software on a Solaris system, but I install it
in my home directory, is that GNU software part of the operating
system?

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <kst-u@mib.org>