Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:26:03 +0000

On 06/12/2007, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> Noah Slater writes:
> > I disagree, we have the POSIX specifications to layout exactly what it
> > means to be an operating system.
>
> We have many official standards.  That was not the question.

The original quesion was 'Is there a widely agreed-upon meaning of the
phrase "operating system"?' and my totally appropriate answer is 'yes,
the term "operating system" is implicitly defined in the POSIX
specifications.'

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman