Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 19:30:57 +0100

Brian <nospam@nospam.invalid> writes:

> On  7 Dec 2007 at 14:15, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Apart from which:

[cat --help]

>> Which is also not all of trivial when compared to some kernel
>> functionality.  I mean, take the "fork" system call.  Before all that
>> copy-on-write nonsense was invented, it just consisted of swapping
>> out a process without actually terminating the in-memory copy.  A
>> UNIX kernel fit into something like 16kB or so on a PDP-11.
>
> Some might consider the fact that GNU turns trivial utilities into
> bloatware is a bug rather than a feature.

Well, where is the difference to turning trivial system calls into
bloatware?

> How often do you think those dozen command-line options to cat are
> actually used?

Focus.  You seem to confuse this thread with a general "bash GNU"
thread.  Your argument that the boundaries of an operating system are to
be defined by triviality was nonsense.  That you don't like cat's
options does not change that at all.