Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:58:56 +0000

On 07/12/2007, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> Pretty strained, but that is the general direction.  You are obviously
> confused about who and what you try to argue what point with.  I am
> certainly of the opinion that the name "GNU/Linux" is appropriate to
> apply.  But your contention that the POSIX standard somehow is supposed
> to define what the term "operating system" means is rubbish.  And
> whether or not this rubbish is used for arguing for or against something
> I support, does not change that it is rubbish.

I'm not confused at all. My simple point is that if there is a
specification saying "here is the standard interface for a bunch of
operating system software" then it's reasonable to say that the
software described form an essential part of an operating system.

You disagree with this?

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman