NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 12 December 2007 NYLUG: Alec Istomin, SWSoft, on Op

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 12 December 2007 NYLUG: Alec Istomin, SWSoft, on OpenVirtuozzo, Virtuozzo, Parallels, and more
Date: 11 Dec 2007 00:07:04 -0500

  what="official NYLUG announcement">

 From: Jim Gleason <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:45:01 -0500 (EST)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] WEDNESDAY Dec. 12th: NYLUG presents Alec Istomin
        from SWSoft on OpenVirtuozzo, Virtuozzo, Parallels and more

 Wednesday, December 12th, 2007 *RSVP CLOSES TUESDAY BUT SEE BELOW*
 6:30pm-8:00 PM
 Google
 76th 9th Ave., between 15th and 16th St.
 4th Floor, enter near 16th Street

 ** RSVP Closes at 2:30pm the day before the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.
 Latecomers can sign in, but it means having to sign in and
 possibly wait a bit.

 PLEASE NOTE: If you miss the RSVP cutoff you can still come to the
 meeting and sign in.

 ALSO: This is not our annual holiday party. See PARTY! below.

                      Alec Istomin, SWSoft
                               -on-
             OpenVirtuozzo, Virtuozzo, Parallels and mores

   Unless you've been to Mars and back the past couple of years, chances
   are that you've heard something about virtualization. It is one of
   the hottest trends in technology right now, yet market adoption is
   still in its early stages.

   "Virtualization" is not however, a generic term that defines every type
    of technology. "Containers," "hypervisors," "paravirtualization" and
   "OS virtualization" are distinct approaches - each having its own
    application and strength.

   Please join us on Wednesday evening as NYLUG.org continues its
   exploration of virtualization technologies. Alec Istomin from SWSoft
   will cover the virtualization landscape and discusses technologies
   outside of VMware. In addition to Virtuozzo and Parallels from SWSoft,
   he will also review Sun containers, Microsoft's upcoming Viridian, and
   open source offerings including Xen, KVM and OpenVZ.

   Alec will also present a demonstration of Virtuozzo/OpenVZ and open
   the floor up to questions.

   Further Information:

   * OpenVZ
     http://www.openvz.org

   * Virtuozzo
     http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/virtuozzo

   * Parallels
     http://www.parallels.com

 About Alec Istomin:
   Alec Istomin is a senior engineer at SWSoft, Herndon, VA and
   originally the company as a developer in early 2000. He has an M.S.
   in physics and applied mathematics from Moscow Institute of Physics
   and Technology (MIPT), Moscow.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at Google, 76 9th Ave,
   4th floor, between 15th and 16th Streets, and not at IBM. This is
   the old Port Authority Building, and takes up the entire block.
   You want the entrance nearest 16th Ave.

 Map:
   http://tighturl.com/u4

 Free Refreshments!
   Google is also graciously providing refreshments during the
   meeting.

 Books!!!
   Our friends at Prentice-Hall kindly provide us with review copies
   of various new titles.  One of these could be yours, all you have
   to do is agree to review the book within a reasonable period of
   time.

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... Many of us have been meeting over at the
   Hog Pit starting around 8:15-8:30.  http://www.hogpit.com
   22 Ninth Avenue at 13th Street, New York, New York 10014

 PARTY!
   For this year's NYLUG holiday event, we're joining with the NY
   Technical Community Holiday Party, to be held on Thursday December
   13 from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM, the day after the NYLUG General Meeting.
   RSVP here: http://www.orgcom.info/Holiday/RSVP

   NYC Technology Sector Holiday Social, 2007

   Keep the evening of Thursday, December 13th, 2007 open for FREE drinks
   and hors d'oeuvres at the second professional networking event for New
   York's technology sector.

   Details and RSVP:
   http://www.orgcom.info/Holiday

   Everyone is invited - open source or closed - CTO or junior admin -
   personal business or Fortune 500. Our mission is to host a well
   rounded networking and social event, bringing together the various
   technology sectors and companies in one professional networking event.

 Python Workshops:
   We are rounding up a group that wants to learn Python.  This would
   be a great time to attend our workshop.

   Those interested in working on the new NYLYG Web site are
   strongly encouraged to attend also.

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meeting is December 18th.
   See the calendar at: http://tighturl.com/fp

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.