Re: I really don't know where to post this. GPL License question

From: Spenceee
Subject: Re: I really don't know where to post this. GPL License question
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:50:07 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 14, 1:30 pm, John Hasler <j...@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> Spenceee writes:
> > My interpretation of the GPL is that if we were to use a GNU public
> > license piece of software in our application (Sumatra PDF reader is the
> > software in question) then we would be required to distribute ALL the
> > source code for our software?
>
> Depends on the details.  What do you mean by "use"?  What do you mean by
> "in"?  Is "our software" a monolithic application?  A client and server?  A
> group of cooperating processes?  A program and a bunch of utilities?
> --
> John Hasler
> j...@dhh.gt.org
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, WI USA

Really appreciate the reply!

The application is part of a client server solution.  It would be the
client, and the user would double click on a PDF document, which would
then launch the PDF viewer using the GPLv2 code.  Optimally we would
want this to be compiled in as a DLL used by our application, but if
the GPL wouldn't permit this, we could launch it from the command
line, and provide tools for the user to do this also, perhaps with a
quick splash acknowledging the authors and GPL etc.