Re: I really don't know where to post this. GPL License question

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: I really don't know where to post this. GPL License question
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:43:41 +0100

nicolas vigier wrote:
[...]
> I think that if you make it clear that your software and the pdf viewer
> are separate programs, then there is no problem, there is no chance
> that your software can be considered a derivative work of the pdf viewer.

Think of an OS (execution environment) without process boundaries.

Consider also (regarding word "program"):

(Programming Terms according to IBM)

    Application program
        A collection of one or more programs cooperating to achieve
        particular objectives, such as inventory control or payroll.

    Environment
        In Language Environment, normally a reference to the run-time
        environment of HLLs at the enclave level.

    Language Environment Terms and Their HLL Equivalents:

    Routine
        In Language Environment, refers to either a procedure,
        function, or subroutine.

        Equivalent HLL terms: COBOL--program; C/C++--function;
        PL/I--procedure, BEGIN block.

    Enclave
        The enclave defines the scope of HLL semantics. In Language
        Environment, a collection of routines, one of which is named
        as the main routine. The enclave contains at least one thread.

        Equivalent HLL terms: COBOL--run unit, C/C++--program,
        consisting of a main C function and its subfunctions,
        PL/I--main procedure and its subroutines, and
        Fortran--program and its subroutines.

    Process
        The highest level of the Language Environment program
        management model. A process is a collection of resources,
        both program code and data, and consists of at least one
        enclave.

    Thread
        An execution construct that consists of synchronous
        invocations and terminations of routines. The thread is
        the basic run-time path within the Language Environment
        program management model, and is dispatched by the system
        with its own run-time stack, instruction counter, and
        registers. Threads may exist concurrently with other
        threads.

"Plaintiffs’ copyrights are unique and valuable property whose market
value is impossible to assess"

                             -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.