Re: GNU, the "UNIX" trademark, and legal control over language

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: GNU, the "UNIX" trademark, and legal control over language
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:21:55 -0500

In article
<8feabb86-f85a-46d1-8cef-1a3d67978687@x69g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
 mike3 <mike4ty4@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why can't GNU systems, BSD systems, etc. be called "unix systems" in
> everyday conversational language?

Your tirade starts with an incorrect premise.  Trademark restrictions
only apply to use of language in trade, not ordinary conversational
language.  Feel free to use words like Unix, Xerox, and Band-Aid when
talking casually.  But if you use them in ads, documentation, marketing
collateral, etc. you must have the legal authorization.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA