Re: How do Free software developers get money?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: How do Free software developers get money?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:02:00 +0100

Richard Tobin wrote:

> In article <479FB607.792462B5@web.de>,
> Alexander Terekhov  <terekhov@web.de> wrote:
> >The point is that Eben Moglen doesn't appear to be a sponsor of his
> >own charity and that it is the other way around in his case.
>
> And (supposing it's true; I neither know nor care) just what does
> this have to do with how Free Software developers are paid?
>
> Or are you just casting round for some mud in the hope that it will
> stick?

I've merely addressed dak's nonsensical comment suggesting that Richard
Stallman is a philanthropist a la Bill Gates but sponsoring free
software. Actually, google reveals quite the opposite:

http://google.com/group/gnu.misc.discuss/msg/8adc85ae88e357dc?dmode=source

------
As I mentioned before, I was not the first to be frustrated by this
discursive solipsism.  But whereas Chuck Wegrzyn did the smart thing
by cutting his losses early on, I had invested too much time, effort,
and resources into wrapping up all my work in Los Angeles and riding
across the continent on the promise of having a say in an enterprise
beguilingly represented as driven by belief in free exchange of ideas,
to do likewise.  So I stuck around LMI and MIT AI Lab for six months
writing press releases, doing legal research, and sending out emacs
distribution tapes.  One thing that stuck in my mind was that while I
sent out the software on behalf of the FSF, Stallman did so only for
his own sake, explaining his actions by pointing out that everyone was
equally free to copy and resell GNU distributions as he saw fit.  In
retrospect, I cannot understand ever having believed the philanthropic
rationalization of his behavior. The only idea Stallman is capable of
serving is that of his being infallibly, indubitably, and unimpeachably
right on everything that counts.
------

http://www.linuxtaliban.com/bilder.htm