Re: "My dad is a pirate."

From: stan
Subject: Re: "My dad is a pirate."
Date: 22 Feb 2008 17:13:15 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Billy Ray Balzak <bray@balzak.com> wrote:

> You do realize that this ruling is from 1985. It's nearly a quarter of a
> century old.
>
> And you also realize that this ruling was made before the internet as we
> know it today existed and before the ability and technology to physically
> and electronically copy music and CDs existed. Hell... when this ruling was
> made the "standard desktop computer" was a IBM-PC with a 5.25" floppy and
> 128k or RAM. There was no MP3, MP4, no internet, the DVD hadn't been
> invented yet. The ability to record/burn a CD or DVD didn't existed and
> there was no internet or way to illegally download music or videos. Fact is
> that at that time there was no video/music to pirate.

Minor point. The internet existed long before 1985 and there were
good ways to do downloads ( legal or illegal)- that's what the binary
USENET groups and BBS's were for. Tapes were readily available and
copying a tape or copying a CD/DVD are exactly the same- just
media is different- so same rules would apply. There was plenty of music
to pirate- and plenty pirated- just not in electronic form, only
physical media. theft is theft.

Stan

--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com