NYC LOCAL: Thursday 13 March 2008 Unigroup: FreeBSD 7 Launch Meeting

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Thursday 13 March 2008 Unigroup: FreeBSD 7 Launch Meeting
Date: 13 Mar 2008 04:04:18 -0400

  what="official Unigroup of NY announcement"
  edits="some stuff, not directly connected with meeting, removed,
         see note below">

 Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:18:33 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Unigroup_of_NY <unilist@unigroup.org>
 Subject: Reminder: UNIGROUP Meeting 13-MAR-2008 (Thu): FreeBSD 7 Launch Meeting

 Unigroup's FreeBSD 7 Launch Meeting is __this__ Thursday Evening!
 (Please RSVP as soon as possible.)

 ** Note: Our speaker is a member of the FreeBSD Core, Security
    and Release Engineering Teams, and the co-author of "The
    Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System"
    from Addison Wesley.

 UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK - UNIX USERS GROUP - MARCH 2008 ANNOUNCEMENTS

    ------------------------------------
 1. UNIGROUP'S MARCH 2008 MEETING NOTICE
    ------------------------------------

    Unigroup has moved our March 2008 meeting one week earlier than
    usual to 13-MAR-2008 (2nd Thursday).  This allows us to avoid
    a holiday on the next week AND have the following meeting and
    speaker...

       When:  THURSDAY, March 13, 2008    (** SPECIAL 2nd Thursday **)

      Where:  Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
              Downtown Center
              104 Washington Street
              South West Corner of Wall Street Area
              Downtown, New York City
              ** Please RSVP (not mandatory) **

       Time:  6:15 PM - 6:25 PM  Registration
              6:25 PM - 6:45 PM  Ask the Wizard, Questions,
                                 Answers and Current Events
              6:45 PM - 7:00 PM  Unigroup Business and Announcements
              7:00 PM - 9:30 PM  Main Presentation

              ------------------------
      Topic:  FreeBSD 7 Launch Meeting
              ------------------------

    Speaker:  George Neville-Neil,
              The FreeBSD Project Team <www.freebsd.org>

    INTRODUCTION:
    -------------

    FreeBSD version 7 was released within the past couple of weeks
    (CD-ROM images are dated 24-FEB-2008).  We hope to learn as
    much as we can about the latest in FreeBSD from our speaker
    George Neville-Neil, a member of the FreeBSD Project Team.

    We are also planning a followup meeting on FreeBSD in the
    coming months.

    SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
    Please avoid emailed RSVPs.

    Please continue to check the Unigroup web site and meeting page,
    for any last minute updates concerning this meeting.  If you
    registered for this meeting, please check your email for any last
    minute announcements as the meeting approaches.  Also make sure
    any anti-spam white-lists are updated to _ALLOW_ Unigroup traffic!
    If you block Unigroup Emails, your address will be dropped from our
    mailing list.

    Please RSVP as soon as possible.

    Note: RSVP is not mandatory for this location, but it does help
          us to properly plan the meeting (food, drinks, handouts,
          seating, etc.).

    MAIN PRESENTATION
    -----------------

    FreeBSD 7 Launch Meeting: Welcome to FreeBSD 7

    This presentation will discuss various aspects of FreeBSD 7.

    Outline of the main presentation:

    - A Brief History of FreeBSD
    - The FreeBSD Project in Context
    - BSD on the Desktop
    - BSD License
    - FreeBSD, more than just a Kernel
    - Ports Collection
    - FreeBSD Project Organization
    - FreeBSD Source Code and Development
    - FreeBSD 7 Features and Improvements
    - FreeBSD SMP
    - FreeBSD Storage
    - FreeBSD Networking and WiFi
    - FreeBSD Hardware Architectures
    - FreeBSD MySQL Performance / Benchmarks
    - Apple OSX vs FreeBSD
    - Questions

    From the FreeBSD 7 Release Announcement:
      FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE is now available for the amd64, i386, ia64,
      pc98, and powerpc architectures. The version for the sparc64
      architecture will become available soon.

    Web Resources:
    --------------

    FreeBSD 7 Links:
      http://www.FreeBSD.org/
      http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/relnotes.html
      http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/errata.html
      http://torrents.freebsd.org:8080/
      ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/

    Speaker Biography:
    ------------------

    George Neville-Neil is a member of the FreeBSD project, its core,
    release engineering and security teams as well as co-author with
    Kirk McKusick of "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD
    Operating System".  He is also a member of the ACM Queue editorial
    board and the columnist Kode Vicious.  His research interests
    include operating systems, real-time and embedded programming,
    and networking.  He is also an avid cyclist and traveler who has
    made his home in Tokyo, Japan for the last 4 years.

    Company Biography:
    ------------------

    FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for x86 compatible
    (including Pentium and Athlon), amd64 compatible (including
    Opteron, Athlon, and EM64T), UltraSPARC, IA-64, PC-98 and ARM
    architectures.  It is derived from BSD, the version of UNIX
    developed at the University of California, Berkeley.  It is
    developed and maintained by a large team of individuals.
    Additional platforms are in various stages of development.

    Giveaways:
    ----------

    Addison-Wesley Professional/Prentice Hall PTR has been kind
    enough to provide us with some of their books, which we will
    continue to raffle off as giveaways at our meetings.

    O'Reilly has been kind enough to provide us with some of their
    books, which we will continue to raffle off as giveaways at our
    meetings.

    Unigroup would like to thank both companies for the support
    provided by their User Group programs.

    Note: The chances tend to be about 1 in 5, that any attendee of
    our meeting will walk away with a fairly valuable giveaway
    (ie. most books are valued between $30 and $60)!

    ** Thanks to our friends at Sun Microsystems, Unigroup also has
       some Solaris 10 DVDs to raffle off.

    ** Special Thanks go to the User Group programs of Prentice Hall
       and O'Reilly for helping us acquire FreeBSD related books
       for this meeting!

    As always, all of the books will be available for review at the
    start of the meeting.

    Fee Schedule:
        Yearly Membership (includes all meetings):      $ 50.00
        Non-Member Single Meeting:                      $ 20.00
        Student Yearly Membership (with ID):            $ 20.00
        Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID):    $  5.00
        Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

    Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served.  This includes
    "wraps" such as turkey, roast beef, chicken, tuna and grilled
    vegetables as well as assorted salads (potato, tossed,
    pasta, etc), cookies, brownies, bottled water and assorted beverages.

    Directions:

      Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
      Downtown Center
      104 Washington Street
      Wall Street Area
      Downtown, New York City

    This building is located on the West side of the street, the
    second building north of Rector Street.  Cross Streets:
    Between Rector (South) and Carlisle (North) Streets.

    Our meeting location is in the Lower West Corner of Downtown,
    North of the Battery Tunnel, South of the Downtown Hotel,
    East of West Street, and West of Greenwich Street.  Walking West
    on Rector Street from Broadway, you pass Church, Greenwich then
    Washington Streets.

    There are multiple blocks of parking lots right there, between
    Washington and Greenwich Streets, starting at the Battery Tunnel
    and extending North for a number of blocks.

    Nearest mass transit stations, in order, are the '1/9' (Rector
    Street), 'R/W' (Rector Street) and the '4/5' (Wall Street).

    -----

    Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
    Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

 < stuff removed to reduce mass of inboxen />

    --------------------
 5. UNIGROUP INFORMATION
    --------------------

    Unigroup is one of the oldest and largest Unix User's Groups serving
    the Greater New York City Regional Area since the early 1980s.  Unigroup
    is a not-for-profit, vendor-neutral and member funded volunteer
    organization.  Unigroup holds regular and special event meetings
    throughout the year on technical topics relating to Unix and the Unix
    User Community.  Unigroup is/was also the Greater NYC Regional Area
    Affiliate of UniForum - an International Unix Users Group.

    Unigroup holds regular meetings planned for (at a minimum) the Third
    THURSDAY of Odd Months.  We generally try to hold Field Trip or
    Vendor Specific Meetings on the Even Months, although we do have the
    ability to hold monthly meetings at our new downtown meeting location.

    Planned regular meeting dates are (usually 3rd Thursdays):
      3/13/2008, 5/15/2008, 7/17/2008, 9/18/2008, 11/20/2008...
    Watch for our Special Event meetings at the various trade shows in NYC
    as well as "Field Trips" to the facilities of local hardware and
    software vendors.

    = For Unigroup Information, Events and Meeting Announcements be sure to =
    = visit our World Wide Web Home Page:                                   =
    =       http://www.unigroup.org                                         =

    For further information or to get on the Unigroup Electronic Mail Mailing
    List send an EMail message to:
         unilist (-a_t-) unigroup.org

    To contact the Board of Directors of Unigroup, send an EMail message to:
         uniboard (-a_t-) unigroup.org

    If you have recently attended a meeting and you are not receiving
    Email announcements, please send us an Email and we will make
    corrections to our lists.

    Please Email the Board with any suggestions, especially potential
    meeting topics and speakers.  Unigroup welcomes contributions and
    content suggestions for our newsletter.  Unigroup is a volunteer
    organization and we need your assistance!  Please let us know if you
    can help!

 -Rob Weiner
  Unigroup Executive Director
  unilist (-a_t-) unigroup.org