Where Proprietary Software May Be Acceptable.

From: mike3
Subject: Where Proprietary Software May Be Acceptable.
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:56:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.

Personally, I do not see a problem with _using_ proprietary software,
although
maybe a problem with _creating_ it. If I choose to accept some sort of
restrictions,
and they do not cause a problem for me, I do not see why I have done
something
wrong.

In a few cases, it is actually a *good* thing to use proprietary
software.
Suppose you were running a hazardous-materials facility. One error
could
potentially cause loss of people's lives. If there is no free
alternative that meets the
necessary reliability, one has to use the proprietary software, or
somebody could
die. Forsaking one's freedom to ensure people's lives are safe I do
not see as
"wrong" (or if it is the good done outweighs the "wrong").

What do you think of this?