Re: Using non-GPL libraries in a GPL program

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Using non-GPL libraries in a GPL program
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 12:58:10 -0500

Juha Nieminen writes:
> I didn't quite understand if this is a "yes" or "no" answer to my
> question...

It's neither.  It is intended to confuse you.  Just ignore Terekhov.  He is
a well-known troll.

> I didn't quite understand if this is a "yes" or "no" answer to my
> question, ie. what happens if you use MIT-licensed code in a GPL program.

You distribute the combined work under the terms of the GPL.  Since the MIT
license permits you to do the things that the GPL requires you to do there
is no problem.

> Does the code become GPL?

You cannot change the terms of distribution of someone else's code, nor is
there any need to do so.  The terms of the MIT license are a subset of the
terms of the GPL so by complying with the latter you are complying with the
former.

> If the answer is yes...

It is no.  Someone who receives the source for the above-mentioned combined
work from you can pluck the MIT-licensed library out and distribute it
under the terms of the MIT license.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org