Re: How to build GNU toolchain for AMD64?

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: How to build GNU toolchain for AMD64?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:38:09 -0500

khapi wrote:
> Ubuntu was a problem because it refused to let me
> specify a root password...

Mark dealt with that.

> ...and didn't install parts of the development system.

What is "the development system"?  Ubuntu and Debian offer gigabytes of
packages that are intended for development, but no one would want all of
them at once.  That's why you have a package management system.  Use it to
install the development packages you need (which will be different from the
ones I need).

Mark Hobley writes:
> You can then install parts of the development system using:

> apt-get install gcc

> or whatever else you need.

I suggest 'apt-get install build-essential'.  That gets you gcc, libc6-dev,
make, g++, and dpkg-dev.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org