Re: Free software, free speech, human dignity

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Free software, free speech, human dignity
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:37:34 +0200

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
[...]
> Also, it seems your point is that copyright law is unethical, not
> specifically the GPL.
>
> This is back to the age old question of whether free speech means I can
> shout "Fire!" in a packed cinema.  (I suppose "Bomb!" is the modern
> version.)

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (US Supreme Court) maintained that
"copyright's built-in free speech safeguards are generally adequate" and
that "the copyright clause empowers Congress to determine the
intellectual property regimes that, over all, in that body's judgment,
will serve the ends of the clause". See
<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B04E3D81131F935A25752C0A9659C8B63>.

Hey Ciaran, did your salary at FSF Europe raise similarly to Moglen's
(see SFLC's last FORM 990)? Just curious. Well, it may well be that you
truly subscribe to RMS' vision "Don't buy a house, a car or have
children. The problem is they're expensive and you have to spend all
your time making money to pay for them." Do you have a
car/house/children, Ciaran?

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)