Re: Free software, free speech, human dignity

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Free software, free speech, human dignity
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:22:40 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 2. Juli 2008 schrieb John Hasler:
> Andreas Röhler writes:
> > First thing is human dignity...
>
> Please define human dignity.

Maybe let's regard a picture to grasp it.
Let's look at Nelson Mandela. It's visible.

> > ...the right of free speech is derived from it.
>
> So you say.

Yes.

> > As we are human beings, we should not risk being injailed for our
> > publishings for example, as it's the case nowadays.
>
> Less so nowadays than through most of history, actually.

Point of interest.

10 years ago, we had in Germany 10.000 police actions persecutiong so called
thought crimes, mostly against so called right-wingers. (A mostly false claim
BTW)

Meanwhile, with "child-pornography", we are at 60.000 persecutions per year.

Apropos child-pornography: Living in saxonian
town of Dresden, some times I visited famous picture
gallery after school: All these masters from italic
rennaissance are plain of child-pornography. Or look
Raphael: Madonna and Child. c.1503. Oil on
panel. Norton Simon Museum of Art, Pasadena, USA

Must we close our galleries because of internet-police?

> > From human dignity results: every law, every treaty must be
> > understandable by the leverage intelligent, or to say by the majority.
>
> Talk to your politicians.

As a slave spoke?
Why should they listen?

> > That affects GPL: We should neither need nor maintain special counselling
> > firms to tell the contents of the GPL. If it is so, it's wrong, it
> > violates human dignity the extent, counselling is needed.
>
> The GPL is neither law nor treaty.

Don't we say licence agreement? Is an agreement not like a treaty?

> It's degree of complexity is, however,
> partially dictated by laws over which the FSF has no control.
>
> > If FSF violates human dignity by itself, it will not be taken serious
> > claiming derived minor items as free Software.
>
> What does that mean?
> --
> "Things should be as simple as possible, and no simpler"  --A. Einstein.

Einstein shouldn't have backed the bomb. I'm compassionate with him.

Greetings

Andreas Röhler