Re: C++ equivalent to spaghetti code

From: Alf P. Steinbach
Subject: Re: C++ equivalent to spaghetti code
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:59:53 +0200

* Alf P. Steinbach:
* James Kanze:

C was never really a good general purpose language.  It was
never used (nor even usable) in commercial software, for
example.

I'm not sure that statement is valid.

It would be very surprising, to say the least, if no or just a very few commercial applications were written in C.

A quick Google search did not, however, help me find commercial software written in any specific language (yes, I'm aware of Bjarne's old list for C++).

Oh, sorry, I've been on a medium large C project for client, this was late 90's, and I think that qualifies as commercial software. It was mainly C, but also some Cobol and SQL and stuff. It was a mess, years over deadline (I don't know how they convinced the client to continue), using a GUI framework the company had developed years back, in C. I recall the project leader being a bit angry with me when I cautioned against trying to sell in another project based on same technology. It seems to me that people advance to leadership positions based solely on lack of ethical circuits.

Cheers,

- Alf