Re: C++ equivalent to spaghetti code

From: James Kanze
Subject: Re: C++ equivalent to spaghetti code
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 02:07:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 21, 9:02 pm, lawrence.jo...@siemens.com wrote:
> Willem <wil...@stack.nl> wrote:

> > In other words: There cannot be any commercial applicaiton
> > written in C, because in your view it is not well suited to
> > one or two application types you can think of.

> I don't think that's what James meant.  I think when he said
> "commercial application", he really meant "business data
> processing application".  C really *isn't* well suited to most
> BDP applications, so his statement is much more reasonable
> when interpreted that way.  But I still suspect that there are
> at least a few BDP applications written in C nonetheless.

Exactly.  And obviously, you can do it; I know one person who
wrote relational data base code in assembler.  But C isn't
really appropriate; there are almost always better alternatives.
C doesn't have any support for decimal arithmetic, nor any means
of adding it comfortably.

But I'd forgotten that today, "commercial" generally means the
opposite of "open source", or "free", and doesn't refer to the
application domain.  I should have been clearer.

--
James Kanze (GABI Software)             email:james.kanze@gmail.com