Re: Circumventing the GPL

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Circumventing the GPL
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:09:07 +0200

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > The courts should simply not enforce invalid contracts. LAW 101. To
> > date, the courts did NOT enforce the GPL. And violations flourish.
>
> What a strange notion! The courts vigorously enforce copyright
> on songs and movies. And violations flourish.

Don't know about US but here in Germany sharing is really dangerous
endeavour as of late.

The net is monitored by authorities and the chances that you'll end up
with criminal investigation are pretty high.

Once that happens (the logs are then made available to "interested
parties") it's 100% guaranteed that you'll get a nice looking invoice or
two from copyright holder's lawyers to pay compensation and
contractually pledge to not share anymore (with horrendous contractual
damages in the case of a breach). Or go to court and lose even more.
Most caught sharers pay compensation, sign the pledge, and stop sharing.
I have yet to hear about such cases going to civil courts. (The criminal
investigation is usually dropped once copyright holders inform
authorities about signed Unterlassungserklärung.)

What does that have to do with the GPL Hyman?

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)