Re: Circumventing the GPL

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Circumventing the GPL
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:36:49 +0200

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > What does that have to do with the GPL Hyman?
>
> You seemed to claim that violations of the GPL
> flourish because courts have not enforced it.
>
> I pointed out that violations of copyright in
> songs and movies flourish even though courts do
> enforce it, thereby throwing doubt on your claim.

And I pointed out that at least in Germany of late violations of
copyright in songs and movies by sharers are on decline without any
court enforcement. There are thousands and thousands caught sharers who
had to pay a pretty penny in compensation and who is now instead of
sharing (they all had to pledge not to share under draconian contractual
penalty) are telling others not-caught-yet sharers "don't do that or
you'll end up like me". Many listen and stop sharing.

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)