Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record

From: Linonut
Subject: Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:13:24 -0400

* The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Alexander Terekhov

>>> I wen to <http://www.supermicro.com>, used the menu
>>> to click on Support/Downloads and noticed the link
>>> "Supermicro FTP Site" under "Additional Resources".
>>
>> Now please go out of home and ask 100 guys on the street what does "FTP
>> Site" (short of "GPL") mean. Please let me know about your findings in
>> this respect.
>
> Then ask them what HTML and HTTP mean as well.
> Good luck with either one. ;-)
>
> The good news: the link is ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/,
> and browsers do understand this link.

The good new is that, if you start using Free software, you're more
likely to encounter terms like FTP and SSH, if you've been unlucky
enough to miss them in your usage of proprietary software (CuteFTP
anyone?).

> The bad news: Uh...where is that thing I'm looking for, again? :-)

   ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/GPL/

Try this:

   $ wget -c -r -N -nH -np ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/GPL/

I'm doing it right now, and I'm not even a customer.  It's a slow site,
though (under 50K/s), so I'm going to abort it.

--
fortune: cpu time/usefulness ratio too high -- core dumped.