Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:52:13 -0700

In article <E_qik.9628$cg.7900@fe085.usenetserver.com>,
 Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote:
> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > I've obtained a copy of 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7-MI424WR.rmt from
> > http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp and can confirm
> > that this transaction yielded no "written offer to provide the source"
> > whatsoever. Go try it yourself.
>
> Have you installed the firmware on your router?
> Perhaps in the unpacked file system that results,
> you can find the offer.

At the risk of being overly picky, would that count?  That requirement
is that the written offer "accompany" the distribution.  The file format
does not appear to be any of the common archive formats, so there
doesn't appear to be any reasonable way for most people to unpack it.

Apparently, some Linksys routers also use .rmt files for firmware, and I
did find one page where someone described a bit of the format, based on
reverse engineering.  Assuming that both routers are using the same .rmt
format, it appears that there is a gzip'ed image of an ext2 filesystem
inside.

However, if I take Actiontec's .rmt file, and find every place inside it
that has the right signature to be gzip'ed data, and start trying to
gunzip from there, it fails.  The data at all those locations reports
various errors that indicate invalid gzip data.

This, I would say that IF there is a written notice in there, it does
not "accompany" the distribution of the GPL software--it is *part* of
the distribution.  To "accompany", I'd say it has to either be a
separate file that comes with the GPL file(s), or it has to be bundle
with the GPL file(s) in an archive format that is reasonably common
(zip, tarball, etc).

--
--Tim Smith