Re: LGPL vs. GPL

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: LGPL vs. GPL
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:48:50 -0400

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Hey Hyman, if I recall correctly, you're paying a royalty
> to a landlord in New York for renting an apartment.
> Why is that?

I own a co-op, actually. But the answer to your implied
question is that physical property, because of its nature,
falls very naturally into a state of being controlled by
a single person. It's so natural that I wouldn't be
surprised if understanding of property is part of evolution.

The artificial monopolies created by patents and copyrights
are much less natural, and the effort to treat them as if
they are physical property leads to restrictions of freedom
on everyone.

By and by, as long as we're asking questions, what's the
difference between a Broadway star and an author of a book?