Re: GPL's anti-patent stance misses the true opportunity

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL's anti-patent stance misses the true opportunity
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 02:51:35 -0400

   > > While there is no doubt that software patent does stifle innovation,
   > Maximising innovation is not the goal of the GPL.

   This is kind of ironic, since one of the arguments used by FSF to
   against software patent is it impede innovations.

The goals of the FSF and the GPL do not have to be the same, but the
ultimate goal of the FSF is freedom for everyone, not just a select
few.

   Proprietary software has no use to free software base, patented or
   otherwise. Therefore. there is more the reason to make sure the
   patents are only available to free software development, licensed
   in terms that only hurt proprietary software development.

Free softwrae is about freedom, even proprietary software makers
should have the freedom to use our software; be it patented or not.