Re: NYC LOCAL: Saturday 23 August 2008 HarvestWorks: Dan St.Clair: Intro

From: Moshe Goldfarb.
Subject: Re: NYC LOCAL: Saturday 23 August 2008 HarvestWorks: Dan St.Clair: Introduction to Supercollider
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:19:58 -0400

On 21 Aug 2008 12:46:24 -0400, secretary@lxny.org wrote:

>   what="official HarvestWorks announcement"
>   note="payment is required for this class, see below"
>   reply-to="info@harvestworks.org"
>   edits="two typos repaired">
>
>  Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:34:22 -0400
>  Subject: [class] SuperCollider Class this Saturday!
>  From: Harvestworks <info@harvestworks.org>
>
>  CLASS: INTRODUCTION TO SUPERCOLLIDER
>
>  Dan St.Clair
>  Saturday, August 23, 12 noon - 6pm.
>  $220/$280
>  Supercollider is a free environment and programming language for real time
>  audio synthesis and algorithmic composition.
>
>  HARVESTWORKS Digital Media Arts Center
>  596 Broadway, Suite 602 (at Houston St)
>  New York, NY 10012
>  Subway: F/V Broadway/Lafayette, 6 Bleeker, W/R Prince
>
>  Class cost: $220 for members, $280 for non-members. Membership is
>  $75/yr. To sign up, go to our website:
>  http://www.harvestworks.org/cms/index.php/Classes/Classes-new.html
>  - then click on "Audio". You can pay by PayPal or Credit Card.
>
>  SuperCollider 3 is a software environment for sound synthesis,
>  performance, and live coding..  It has an extensive library of
>  hundreds of unit generators and is well suited to projects that
>  require the dynamic creation of multiple synthesis patches or
>  high level compositional abstractions.  Supercollider is "free"
>  software distributed under the Gnu Public License and is
>  available at http://supercollider.sourceforge.net .  While
>  SuperCollider is constantly evolving through a particularly
>  active developer and user community a stable version (3.2)
>  is available that serves as the reference version for a book that
>  is forthcoming from MIT press.
>
>  SuperCollider 3 separates synthesis from control into separate
>  applications: a synthesis server and an object oriented
>  programming language. This creates a very open and adaptable
>  environment.  For example, one copy of the language to control
>  multiple servers, providing a simple way to take advantage of the
>  multi-processing capabilities of current computers.  It is also
>  possible for multiple performers to share a single server or to
>  play material on one another's machines. The synthesis server can
>  be controlled by any application that supports the OSC protocol,
>  such as Java or Max/MSP (see http://opensoundcontrol.org).

OMFG!!!

Music that isn't music....
I laugh every time I see one of these kinds of contraptions.
Studying the theoretical underpinnings of music?

The problem with approaches like this one is that it is almost totally
useless to a person who enjoys music.

Much like fractals, mostly, are boring to people who enjoy art.

Most of this stuff sounds like my dishwasher when it's on the fritz or my
toilet when it gurgles..

http://www.harvestworks.org/cms/index.php/Table/Harvestworks-Audio-Archive/

Can't you people do something useful for a change?

How about porting ProTools or Nuendo to Linux?

How about getting a sound system that fully works, is transparent and is
easy to use.

IOW fix ALSA...

You expect Linux people to pay $280 for this event?
You're out of your mind....

Linux users tend to be, ahem, frugal....

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: