Re: public domain to GPL?

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: public domain to GPL?
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:24:22 -0500

Jerry wrote:
> Now I'm confused.

Always ignore everything Terekhov writes.  He is a troll and is
deliberately trying to confuse you.

> It seems, according to the author of the above quote, that it is possible
> to modify a public domain program and copyright the modified version as a
> whole.

You will have created a derivative of the public domain work and will
automatically acquire copyright in it.

> If that is true, then I figure maybe I can GPL a modified version of a
> public domain program.

You can distribute such a work under the terms of the GPL (or any other
terms you wish).  The original work, of course, remains in the public
domain as do the portions of it that your derivative includes.  Someone
could excise those parts and use them as public domain as long as he
doesn't include any of your work.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org