Re: Battle for Wesnoth relicensing

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Battle for Wesnoth relicensing
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:20:19 +0200

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:

Context:

http://www.usfca.edu/law/determann/softwarecombinations060403.pdf

> > The term “compilation” includes collective works.
>
> Whatever. You still need permission from the owners
> of the components to make copies and distribute them.

That's in the GPL second section aka "1" (counting from zero).

> The GPL lets you do that if you're just including the
> programs separately in a collection, but if you're
> integrating them into one program you have to license
> the whole thing under the GPL.

Why do you insist on confusing the second section with the third section
aka "2" (counting from zero)?

>                                 If someone cares to sue
> and claims that the two are indistinguishable and so
> they have permission under "mere aggregation", we'll

You're really not okay, Hyman. Why would someone who believes to have a
permission (under "mere aggregation" or whatever) want to file a
lawsuit?

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)