Re: GPL 2(b) HUH?

From: Rahul Dhesi
Subject: Re: GPL 2(b) HUH?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 03:45:17 +0000 (UTC)

Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

>Rahul, we need something out of you besides whining "out of context
>quotes" as your criticism of the various posts to a thread....
>1) Post the additional context to illustrate why readers' citations
>are out of context.

Rjack, you repeatedly post on the same topics with slightly changed
subject headings. This scatters your postings and followups in many
different places, when in fact the topic has not changed. This may
explain why you ask the above question, which I already answered.

If you look under other subject headings, not just this one, I'm sure
you will find where I pointed out that you took a sentence that began
"On every writ of error or appeal, the first and fundamental question is
that of jurisdiction..." and quoted it without the "On every writ of
error or appeal" part, thus making it much more general than it was
intended to be.

You also omitted to mention that this fragment addressed something very
specific, i.e., the “doctrine of hypothetical jurisdiction.”

Yes, of course readers can look up the original. This is how
out-of-context deception works -- you deceive the reader, and defend
that deception by claiming that if readers can look up the original,
then there's nothing wrong with the out-of-context quote.
--
Rahul
http://rahul.rahul.net/